OYO State Commissioner for Health, Dr Muyiwa Gbadegesin, on Tuesday, dispelled the rumoured case of Ebola in the state, saying that the state had been certified free of Ebola.
Dr Gbadegesin said although all the symptoms the patient had pointed to malaria, the ministry still had to send the blood sample for Ebola test, because some anonymous persons claimed that the man in question visited Liberia recently.
â€œThat was the only reason we pursued the issue further, because, medically, it looks like a malaria case. But because someone said he just came, though we donâ€™t know who the person is, we just have to take precaution,â€ he stated.
He, however, said Oyo State remained Ebola free, stressing that â€œthere is no Ebola case and if there is, it is not something we can keep, because we want people to know so that they can be fully protected and be aware of what is going on.â€
While reiterating the need for good personal hygiene by ensuring hand washing and use of sanitiser, he urged individuals to report any suspected case of Ebola.
He insisted that Ebola was not a death sentence, adding that â€œwith treatment on time, the person can be saved.â€
Dr Gbadegesin said the ministry had been proactive in the effort to curtail Ebola in the state, adding that a 24-hour surveillance on the disease was ongoing.
He further disclosed that at the meeting with President Goodluck Jonathan, in Abuja, last week, it was decided that opening of primary and secondary schools in all the states be delayed till the end of September, because of the Ebola crisis.